Saturday, February 27, 2010

First Official Sonogram


Okay, so we have already had an ultrasound...but this is the first official one. We met at the clinic, since since I was leaving the VTH in the middle of the day to go to the appointment. Thankfully I was on neuro/ortho rotation, and all I had to do was bring back a picture of the baby (Duh! I was going to make people look at it, even if they didn't want to!).

The hardest part of the appointment was preparing for it. I had to have a full bladder, which meant drinking an abnormal amount of fluids before the exam.* Now this may not seem to hard, but as my pregnancy progresses I often need to use the bathroom. I don't think I have ever been so well-hydrated in my life. I was definitely ready for the exam when I got there! I can also tell you there are a lot of unnecessary bumps on the road between the VTH and PFM. And then my appointment started 10 minutes late. AH!**

As for Keith's reaction to this situation, it was a mixture of laughter and pity. He said I was more excited to be able to use the bathroom than for the ultrasound. I was so happy that half-way through the exam they let me use it. I think I literally lept off the exam table!

In the end it was worth it - a great picture of the baby.*** He/she was less active than before, although did move around during the exam. I wonder if that means our baby has the Tamura sleep schedule already - sleep during the day, awake at night. I hope not, otherwise it will make working and raising a child very difficult. And I know Keith hopes not, since he does not function well as a nocturnal creature.

The blood draw wasn't too bad either, just a finger-prick and 5 drops blood. Not too bad! Now we just wait for all the diagnostics results...if I could only remember when they said we would find out...



*Ultrasound works better if things are surrounded by fluid. Wanna know more? Ask Keith. I'm too lazy to explain the physics of ultrasound.

**Hey, this may not be something everyone wants to read...but no one said pregnancy was pretty.


***You can also see my bladder, if you know how to read ultrasounds. Sigh...

No comments: