Friday, September 4, 2009

Lanai at the Cove

On our anniversary trip, one of the thing that was very memorable was our hotel. First of all, we weren't really sure why it was called Lanai at the Cove, but it sounds exotic and nice. I had found it online via Trip Advisor, and they had a great website. I am a snob about websites, if a business is going to be online (and they should these days), then they better take the time to make it look professional.

Well, they had pictures of all their rooms and of the views for each room. Then I got to make reservations for the room I wanted. Well...the pictures were nothing compared to how great our room was. When we opened the door, Keith and I were amazed (astonished, awed...you get the idea) at the view we had. We knew we had a view of the beach, but this was spectacular. The ocean was practically at the backdoor! We could hear the crashes of the waves and the smell of the salty sea air.

Little did we know how great our view really was. Every day we saw sealife from our lanai, including: Whales (3 out of 4 days), a sea lion, pelicans, seagulls, surfers and 1 crazy kayaker. The most exciting thing was when we saw our first whale. Keith
and I were just enjoying watching the ocean when Keith spotted something large and dark stick out of the water. He kept watching, and then it happened. Keith saw the telltale sign of a whale, the spray from the blowhole. It was pretty exciting. I am pretty sure I jumped up and down when I finally saw it. We couldn't believe that they were so close to the shore, probably only 100 yards away! We think they were feeding, since there were multiple whales and tons of birds in the area. The fun part was they came the same time every day, around 5 pm. I called it the whale dinner time. We also saw a spunky sea lion, who was swimming around the surfers. We also took the time to walk the beach a lot, enjoying the ocean and the beautiful beach houses beside us.

Our room even had a little mascot, a wooden seagull I named Marcus. Our room had a general nautical theme, but he was super cute where he sat our little dining table. I wanted to take Marcus home as a memento, but Keith wisely convinced me that he would be happier by the sea and making other couples happy. Seriously, isn't he cute!?!

One of my favorite parts of the trip was falling asleep listening to the crashing waves of the ocean. We slept with the patio door open every night. The first night I had a nightmare about Keith and I drowning due to a flood that was overwhelming us...and we were at the top floor of a three story building! I woke up crying and had to wake up Keith. Then we realized it was the sounds of the waves that had crept into my dream and scared me. How embarrassing! But after that, I found the ocean sounds relaxing and fell asleep without hesitation!


*note: this is a video of the ocean and its wonderful sounds taken from our lanai. It's probably not that exciting, but we took it as a reminder of what we fell asleep to everynight. So please don't watch the whole thing, since there isn't anything exciting happening in it. Unless you also love the ocean. Or are super bored. Or you don't trust me. Fine, whatever.

I know this sounds like an advertisement (pronounced in the British form, please) for this place, but it was seriously the nicest place we have ever stayed. And I have to admit I am pretty proud that I picked the place (hotel and Seaside) by myself. Usually Keith does the travel plans, so it was definitely a relief that I didn't mess it up. Whew! I especially love that Keith loved the trip so much, it definitely makes all the planning worth it! Mostly, it sums up how much we both love the ocean and beach!!

No comments: