Sunday, December 27, 2009

Our First Christmas Alone


This winter has been an interesting one. We are continuing to mourn the loss of our cat, Echo, who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly (see previous post). Another interesting time has been spending our very first Christmas with just the two of us! Keith and I have always been blessed to spend it with our family, either mine or his, for Christmas. We actually had already celebrated Christmas with my dad the week before, when we was out visiting. And thankfully he was able to fit all of our gifts into his Prius to drive back over to Western Washington!


A wall of gifts to send westward, they didn't fit under our tree!

Even when we moved down to Tucson, there was traveling done. However, this year with my senior vet school schedule, it was not possible to go back to Port Orchard to see our family. So it was just us two and our kittens celebrating in Pullman.


Tavia examines the presents to find any for her (her's were in cats' stocking!).


Bun is ready to have some Pocky, like a good kitten!

So what did we do? Well, we waited up until midnight on Christmas Eve and opened a single present each. Then we went to bed and slept until 9am on Christmas morning. This was a rare Christmas treat, as we knew our nieces would have the rest of Keith's family up no later than 6am. I made breakfast and we started opening our presents. We definitely missed the traditional sausage fondue that Keith's mom makes for special holidays! Presents were fun to open, as always, but we definitely missed watching our family's reaction to the gifts we picked out for them.


Keith loves Oriental things! Yea anime!

At around 10am, we Skyped Keith's family and got to see his parents, his sisters, and our two nieces. It was so wonderful to see them, even though it made our hearts ache to not be able to be there in person. Even still, it was so good to see them and talk to them for a little bit.


One of my presents from Keith - it's what I've always wanted. Too bad he beat me in the first game, but I came back and won the second one.

After cleaning up around the house, I took a nap while Keith played with his new toys (a GPS and a new PS3 soccer game). We are very thankful for the GPS, which should be very helpful in our anticipated move to undisclosed location. We haven't tried it out yet, but have already figured out how to work it (for the most part!)


Keith learning to use the GPS.

Then I called my dad and got to talk to him for a while, which is always great. It was so much fun and I did so much baking! I got some fantastic new baking toys, for which I was super excited. (I also got some super cute herb markers, but Pullman weather doesn't really allow for winter gardening)


Cute pocket pie molds from Williams-Sonoma...now I just gotta figure out how to not burn them! At least they looked good going into the oven.

Even though it was sad to not spend Christmas with our families, it was still nice to have time together and celebrate Christmas in our home. Keith and I especially like to take advantage of the time we get together, as our disparate schedules keep us busy! Although my dad's Christmas present will definitely help keep us connected - new Blackberry phones. Texting has never been easier!

No comments: